- Show more
The importance of ski glasses and their types
At the time of the practice of ski, each of the accessories that are used to appear that sport and one that cannot be missing is the glasses, because this, it will give protection in sight, as we already mentioned, ensuring a optimal performance of the athlete.
How to choose the best ski glasses?
Before making a choice between one and the other, some aspects that are important, therefore, beyond the comfort and aesthetics of them must be taken into account, the most fundamental thing is that they meet all the essential requirements for the protection of the view:
- Ultraviolet radiation. Ultraviolet rays can cause great damage, not only in the skin, but also in the eye, specifically, you can begin to suffer from macular degeneration. The fact that the glasses are dark, has absolutely nothing to do with protection, some that are very dark, do not have the protective filter. For this reason, you have to make sure you choose one that has that filter and that is approved by the European Union.
- Polarization. Being polarized, they make a blockade of the light, which will be depending on the angle of incidence of the glasses. When the light comes from below, it is blocked more than the one from the top, such as when it is in the sea or when the sun is very strong and clear.
- The color. Each glasses, depending on the color they have, will block part of the visible light, causing the colors to be altered, in this way, the eye can focus better. An example is yellow glasses, which blocks lights in blue tones, making a better visual approach.
- Design. Although it is not an aspect that turns out to be so important, it is also one of those that is taken into account, then, like conventional sunglasses, they also come in different designs that, without a doubt, will define the style of each athlete.
Types of ski glasses
In the market there are two types of ski glasses, the sun and ventisca. Each of them possesses specific characteristics:
Sunglasses. Some people usually wear the typical sunglasses for skiing, but, however good they are, they are not ideal for it, they do not have enough resistance to blows or provide protection in sight. They can be perfect for sunny days but not for ventisca days or for snowfall, as it prevents distinguishing snow.
Ventisca glasses. They protect from the wind, sun, cold and greatly improve vision in any of the climatic conditions that may arise. They have been specially designed for winter sports. They are large, covering to the eyebrow area and adhere to the face by a foam membrane.
Those that are of excellent quality, must include an anti-Vaho treatment, this is what prevents their glasses from being tarnished while skiing. There are simple treatments that are in the internal and double with ventilation.
Advantages of wearing ski glasses
Ski is a dangerous sport, which needs an advanced experience, practical and technical. The advantages they provide are:
- They provide protection against ultraviolet rays.
- Increase vision without reflexes.
- Gives sharpness and hires.
- It provides natural colors.
- Significantly reduce eye fatigue.
- They are light and resistant.
- They provide comfort and security.
- They are ideal for people with high light sensitivity.
- Some come with graduation.
- Can be used by children.
Is utraviolet radiation dangerous? Is the use of ski glasses necessary?
Ultraviolet radiation is dangerous for sight. While skiing, snow is able to refer to the sunlight by 80%, as well as the athlete is more height, the more intense the sun’s rays will be, causing serious visual health problems.
Ultraviolet Radiation Types
Each of them has a different intensity and, thus, they are also the damages that can cause those who are exposed without security to them:
- Ultraviolet C (UVC) radiation: it is the most dangerous and harmful of all, but it is not so worrying because the atmosphere is completely absorbed.
- Ultraviolet B (UVB) radiation: the damage it produces, are at the biological level, because it penetrates through the hole in the ozone layer and is much more dangerous when it is at a greater height. It can be able to seriously affect the cornea.
- Ultraviolet Radiation A (UVA): Although it is not as harmful as the previous ones, it is able to reach more and, for this reason it is very important to protect yourself well.
How to use ski glasses?
If there is something that should be a priority, it is the security of the athlete at the time of skiing, especially when it comes to extreme or high risk sports. In the case of skiers, they must have the necessary accessories for their protection, because it will depend on that the practice is safe. Ski glasses are one of the most important accessories needed for that winter sport, for this reason, you must know the right way to use it:
- Verify that everything is fine. Before starting to use them, you have to make sure they are in good condition, because, in that way, it is guaranteed that the experience is safe and comfortable.
- Adjust them correctly. Most of these glasses come with an elastic band that allows its easy adaptation to the face, thus, the athlete will only have to place them and start adjusting them by hooks that the tape includes, to secure the grip to the face.
- Check face protection. They must have a foam layer that serve to protect the face. Its function is to avoid any discomfort that can cause the contact of glasses with your face.
- That has adequate ventilation. It will be dependent on the glasses model, then, each one has an appropriate ventilation level for each use. Some models, they already come with a correct ventilation that prevents too much heat from accumulating fog in the vision area.
Conclusions about ski glasses
In conclusion, athletes who practice ski. In the mountain and by the damage on the ground any accident can occur, for this reason, wearing conventional sunglasses can be risky, because they are not so resistant to the blows, and their broken crystals could cause serious injuries in the eyes.
Therefore, the most recommended is the use of special glasses to ski, which also have a filter to protect the view of ultraviolet radiation. The most impotent, in any case, is to take into account all the factors that were mentioned before to make the best choice and to ensure a successful practice of this sport. Likewise, proper cleaning and maintenance should be done to extend their useful life and be able to use them for much longer.