- Show more
Livestock and its influence on climate change
Throughout the last centuries it has been necessary to inform and discuss the climatic changes and therefore of the greenhouse gases (GHG), which are those gases that retain radiation and include carbon dioxide (Co₂), nitrous oxide (N2O) and methane (CH4), and several more. Since the age of the industrial revolution, human action has originated a great increase in the concentration of these gases in the atmosphere, which as a result leads to the increase in temperature in this, what is called global warming. During the passage of time, the concentration of CO₂ and N2O has increased in the atmosphere by 31% and 16%, and also methane has multiplied largely. The gas that fills the atmosphere is CO₂, but the most harmful is the N2O.
From a study presented in 2006 by the United Nations Food and Agriculture (FAO), which caused great commotion, affirmed that livestock generated 18% of greenhouse gases around the planet, raisingSo this is one of the main sources of GHO, even greater than the entire transport sector, but several research works have denied this, as presented by the United States Environmental Protection Agency saying that the main sources of GHG is the sectorof transport leading it with 28% and livestock only contributes 9% as a GHG. Despite not being among the central causes of the emission of these gases, contributing with 9% is a large amount, which is why this research work focuses on examining how animal agriculture affects climate change;And thus raise awareness in the damage that makes our planet the massive breeding of these animals, at the same time it is possible to reduce their consumption as possible.
The first in the list transmit GHO, it is the cattle that generates around 4.6 giga tons of co₂ -eq, which symbolize 65% of emanations from only livestocks. The beef lot, that is, those who give meat and products that do not serve as food, and the milk beef lot, which pay meat and milk, and the same, the abrupt products, transmit similar amounts of GHG dispersion. The meat taken from the cow is the essential article with the highest degree of total dissemination and of circulation force, in other words, it contributes with 2.9 giga tons of co₂ -eq, which is 41% of the general transmissions of the general transmissions of thesector, instead cow’s milk does so with 1.4 giga tons of co₂ -eq, being 20%. Pork continues, with 0.7 giga tons of CO₂ -EQ, which represents 9% emissions;Milk and buffalo meat (8%);Chicken meat and eggs (8%), and milk.
A large number of lands are being wasted sowing for cattle instead of food for people. The water that these lands require, which are used directly by the vacate, symbolizes another source of waste of the resource. Great disagreement has been created in the precise amount of water that is necessary for meat manufacturing purposes.
Professor David Pimentel, from the Department of Ecology of the U. De Cornell, has calculated that to produce 1 kg. of potatoes 500 lt are needed. Of water, 900 lt. For 1 kg. of wheat, 3.500 LT. For 1 kg. of chicken meat (edible) and 100.000 LT. For 1 kg. of vaccine meat. More conservative estimates make Beckett and Oltjen from the Dept. of animal sciences. of California: To produce 1 kg. 120 lt are required of wheat. Of water, and for 1 kg. of vaccine meat, 3.700 LT. Of water. (Animanaturalis, S.f) It is interesting to look a little more closely these figures: whether in the most radical estimate as the most conservative, the production of vaccine meat represents a scandalous water expense compared to the production of vegetables or cereals.
The causes of meat manufacturing represent great influence on the planetary water rationing, since it is equivalent to 8% of the water that the human being has, primarily by means of the irrigation of forage sowings. The reports summarized that this area is the central generator of waste that impurify the water, coming, especially the remains of animals, hormones, antibiotics, fertilizers and pesticides used in forage sowings, the chemical matter to whichThey resort to the tannings and sediments of the eroded land. It is necessary to say that world studies have not yet been carried out, however, it is considered that only in the United States liveThird part of the phosphorus and nitrogen that corrupts the water. In addition, it produces about two thirds of the anthropogenic ammonia, which intervenes, to a large extent, to the acidification of ecosystems and acid rains.
Likewise, the agricultural area is, however much, the most notable user of human actions on land. The grass is equivalent to 26% of the land extension and the elaboration of feed corresponds approximately to one third of the entire agricultural surface. The recreation of the lands in which pasta is a determining consequence in deforestation, even more in Latin America, since about 70% of the Amazonian forests are destined as grasslands, and the sowments of feed wear a large amount of the remaining area of the area of the area.
Approximately 70% of the areas used for grazing in deserted regions are degraded, the primary factor being grazing, the loss of soil volume and wear due to the vacate. The amount of engendered animals destined for the feeding of human being constitutes a sacrifice of earth biodiversity. Thus, cattle are a full 20% of the land animal biomass, and the area where it is lodged today was wild species ecosystem. According to the World Fund for Nature between 825 classified ecoregions, in 306, the vacation is called "a threat today", also than the 23, of the 35 "world areas of great concentration of biodiversity" of the List of InternationalConservation, which represents a dangerous wear of habitats, are broken due to the involvement of agricultural manufacturing.
In short, the changes that are being presented in the climate and environment require our attention urgently. Undoubtedly, the livestock industry causes a large number of consequences that eventually cause great impact as much as transport or the oil sector would do, since its sequel in the air, water and the same land are devastating. The environmental footprint that livestock is leaving, together with the excessive increase of the world’s population, are indisputable and irrevocable arguments to persist in the substantial search for a better animal agriculture system.
- Agrovoz. (July 24, 2017). Greenhouse effect: They ensure that livestock captures more carbon than the one that emits. Agrovoz.the voice.com. Obtained from http: // agrovoz.the voice.com.AR/Climate/Effect-Invernader-Asseguran-who-the-Hanader
- Alfaro, m., & Muñoz, C. (2012). Livestock and Greenhouse Gases. Chile: Inia Remehue. Animanaturalis. (s.F.). Water and livestock. Hazeveg.com. Obtained from https: // www.Hazeveg.com/p/951/el-water-and-la-man
- FAO. (2006). The repercussions of cattle in the environment. FAO.org. Obtained from http: // www.FAO.org/ag/esp/magazine/0612sp1.htm
- Gerber, p., Steinfield, h., Henderson, b., Mottet, a., Opium, c., Dijkman, J., & Falcuccion, to. (2013). Facing climatic change through livestock. Rome: FAO – United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization.
- Matthews, c. (November 29, 2006). Livestock threatens the environment. FAO.org. Obtained from http: // www.FAO.Org/Newsroom/Es/News/2006/1000448/Index.HTML
- Mitloehner, f. M. (December 13, 2018). Yes, eating meat affects the weather, but cows are not killing the planet. the country.com. Obtained from https: // elpais.com/elpais/2018/12/11/planet_futuro/1544527239_882200.HTML
- Monica, s. (2017). How does livestock affect the environment? Metereologiaenred.com. Obtained from https: // www.Meteorologiaenred.com/as-affect-la-year-to-al-medium- environment.HTML
- Rome, e. (2006). Livestock generates more greenhouse gases than cars.the newspaper.com. Obtained from https: // www.the newspaper.com/es/Sociedad/20061129/la-year-in-law-mas-gos-of-effect-inverer-who-los-automoviles-5405062
- Valeria, s. (November 14, 2015). Ecuador consumes more water in the region. Trade.com. Obtained from https: // special.trade.com/Planet-Ideas/Planet/November-14-Del-2015/Ecuador-Consume-Mas-Agua-in-La-Region