- Show more
Cajamarca, the department with the highest poverty index in Peru
Poverty in the department of Cajamarca is embodied in its great deficit in health, education, basic services, among others. Despite being one of the main mining regions of the country and having great potential in various economic activities such as livestock, agriculture, tourism and others. Therefore, the factors for which there is this apparent illogical situation, in addition to the measures that the regional government in the face of this problem was analyzed.
The department of Cajamarca has great economic potential based on the abundance of its resources (in mining, in agriculture, in livestock), due to its privileged geographical location in the lowest area of the Andes mountain rangeGreat wealth in his inter -Andean valleys, which also generates a great favorable tourist attraction obtaining another great contribution in his economy.
Therefore, this region stands out radically at the national level in its projection to a future with continuous and effective economic and social development becoming a great attraction for investors.
Despite its optimal economic projection today, it has the largest population in poverty population, embodied in factors such as health, education and basic services;which leads to an apparent perception of incoherence in relation to great resources and abundant poverty.
By analyzing all the influential factors in this problem both in the political, social and economic;This superficiality contained in the proposed hypothesis on disproportion between the quality and quantity of resources that this region is possessed and its high poverty rate in which it is located.
This document resolves the various unknowns raised with the intention of proposing solutions in favor of decreased poverty index of this region.
Most important factors that determine the financial statement of Cajamarca.
- Mining: it is the most important factor within the economy of Cajamarca, since it is a great contribution to the growth of this region. The minerals extracted from the mines are exported to various places obtaining a good result, according to the Ministry of Foreign Trade and Tourism in the year (2018) it mentions: “At the biennium (2017-2018), the Coimolache and Yanacocha aurifers have increased theMineral shipments to the US and Switzerland respectively, attenuating the lower exports of Gold Fields ”.
- Agriculture: it is a secondary but not least factor. The Cajamarca region has great potential in the production of its crops such as: the shell rice, cocoa, hard yellow corn, dry grain bean, coffee (the one that stands out the most) since according to the Ministry of Foreign Trade and Tourism and TourismIn the year (2018) he mentions: "It is the 3rd coffee producer (16%) after San Martín and Junín, and the 1st exporter of this grain";Also in Cajamarca there is more than 10% of the tara that Peru exports.
Factors that determine the poverty index in Cajamarca.
Cajamarca’s education indicators are far from being the best. It has a high illiteracy rate, especially in adult women;An almost universal school coverage in primary. All this is manifested in poor results in school performance tests. This factor influences the poverty of the population of Cajamarca, because not knowing how to read, write, and interpret (be ignorant) and cannot get a good job to cover their primary expenses.
These primary services are important for all families, since each home must have light, water and drainage. Not everyone has this basic service, because in some areas of Cajamarca the State does not cover with the correct facilities for each home, this is because they are in places away from the city and do not take them into account. Therefore, peoples are the most vulnerable and affected areas with this problem.
Poverty in the areas far from the city of Cajamarca is very high, because the State and the region do not care about these sites, therefore they do not take importance and continue to have the highest index in poverty nationwide.
This factor is one of the most delicate to be treated, since the health issue is not slight but goes further. This factor is related to poverty because low -income families by not covering their basic basket do not carry a healthy and healthy diet, which is why one of the most influential diseases is chronic anemia, because they did not have a goodfeeding.
On the other hand, poverty in the 3 factors can become an obstacle to the economic development of this region, since as Cajamarca was mentioned, it is not only the department with the greatest poverty rate in its population, but, which is one ofThe departments that can have a good development thanks to all its wealth such as mining, since it is one of the factors that contributes the greatest to the Cajamarquina economy.
According to the Ministry of Foreign Trade and Tourism in the year (2018) the following is described:
- In 2018, Cajamarquin exports grew 2.6%, reaching US $ 1,725 million. Supported in the highest coffee shipments (+31%), gold (+1%), both products explain almost 80%of what is exported by the region.
- However, the lower copper sales (-7%) and cathodes (-us $ 3 million) explained the performance of mining exports in the region (-1%), which was attenuated by the greatest gold shipments by companiesCoimolache and Yanacocha, towards Switzerland and the US.
- Agro exports of the region have been growing sustainably. In the last decade agricultural shipments have tripled, from US $ 78 million in 2009 to US $ 258 million in 2018, a record of export, this basically obeyed the largest export of coffee.
- Cajamarca is the 3rd coffee producer after San Martín and Junín, and the 1st export of the grain for the greatest exports of coffee makers such as Multiple Services Cooperative, International Coffee, Commerce & Cía and Multinegocios R&R.
- In 2018, Peru exported tara for US $ 52 million. Cajamarca produces 10% of the exported tara, however, this is partially reflected in exports of the region, because the product is sent to Lima and Callao for later export.